Ryan is a freelance composer and sound designer based in Wellington. He creates, records and produces music and sound for theatre, films, advertising campaigns, radio features, art installations and music production libraries, as well as doing private commissions for clients.
Ryan graduated from Victoria University of Wellington with a Bachelor of Music where he studied composition, orchestration and music history. He currently works at RNZ Concert as a producer, scheduler, scriptwriter and occasional presenter of the Sound Lounge contemporary classical music show. He also set up the Sonic World of Cinema collection on the RNZ web page, an archive of film soundtrack-related material from New Zealand and around the world.
“The definitive highlight is the original music by composer Ryan Smith…” (Theatreview) – Review of Traces: Ghost From the Archives, 2014
“…his sound design throughout adds a lot to the feel of the experience.” (Theatreview) – Review of Labyrinthine, 2015
“…beautifully scored…” (Theatreview)
“The sound design composed by Ryan Smith is atmospheric and grounds location…” (Art Murmurs) – Reviews of Far Away, 2016
“…lovely use of sound…” (Theatreview)
“Transitions are also strongly assisted with the sound design by Ryan Smith, along with lighting design, which both work together to quickly snap between locations whilst establishing strong environments” (Art Murmurs)
Reviews of Love and Information, 2016
“Ryan ‘gets’ sound and music, how they work together and what they can enhance. His music is subtle and clever. His soundtrack for Expo Belle Epoque turned a day of radio into a multi-dimensional experience.” – Kate Mead, Production Manager, Radio New Zealand Concert
• The R.I.P. files, Season 2 (2015) – U.S. ‘paranormal reality TV’ series by Marin Group Productions.
• Goos Media Concepts (2015) – theme for Irish film production company logo
• Ring*Con -The Kiwi Experience (2011) – Directed/produced by Prue Langbein for Spark Productions
• Notes for a Coastline (2004) – Documentary by Zoe Roland (Soup and a Seat series, New Zealand Film Archive, 2013; Official Selection Navarra International Documentary Film Festival, Spain, 2005; NZ Documentary Conference, 2005; NZ Telecom International Film Festival, 2004)
• Memory, Myth and Melodrama (2005) – Documentary film by Zoe Roland (Soup and a Seat series, New Zealand Film Archive, 2013; Sofa Gallery, Christchurch, 2005)
• Sky Guy’s Day of Horrors (2005) – Animated short film by Nick Holmes (Fringe Film Festival, 2006 – Wellington & Auckland; Takaka Film Festival 2007)
• Locom Ostruthio (2003) – Animated short film by Brett Johansen (Fringe Film Festival 2007 – Wellington)
• Far Away (2016) (Bats Theatre – Wellington) – Written by Caryl Churchill. Directed by Tabitha Arthur
• Love and Information(2016) (Bats Theatre – Wellington) – Written by Caryl Churchill. Directed by Tabitha Arthur
• The Crucible (2015) (Gryphon Theatre – Wellington) – Written by Arthur Miller. Directed by Josh Hopton-Stewart
• Labyrinthine (2015) (Fringe Festival, 2015 – Wellington) – Directed by Tabitha Arthur
• Crumble: Lay Me Down Justin Timberlake (2014) (Gryphon Theatre – Wellington) – Directed by Tabitha Arthur
• Traces: Ghosts From the Archives (2014)(Fringe Festival, 2014 – Wellington) – Directed by Tabitha Arthur
• The Girl, The Witch and the Seven Ravens (2013) – Directed by Tabitha Arthur
• Happy O’Kai: Opening of the Eyes (2001) – Directed by John Davies.
• Music Through The Night sting (2014) – commissioned by Radio New Zealand to compose and record a musical sting based on the call of a kiwi
• Exposition Belle Epoque (2012)- 10 short pieces commissioned by Radio New Zealand for 1890-1914 themed day broadcast on Radio New Zealand Concert
• Archaeology of a Man (2003)- Feature by Zoe Roland for Radio New Zealand National
• Village Goldsmith – Lucence campaign ad (2013)
• For Every Minute – Video Catalogue (2012)
• Suzanne Aubert installation (2012) – Permanent installation in Lyall Bay, Wellington by 3D Creative
• Return (2003) & Lost Properties (2001) – Photographic exhibitions by Lisa Clunie and Cathy Tu’ato Ross for Photospace Gallery
Send Message to listing owner